[Dnsmasq-discuss] Subdomains in local network.

Ptits de Barbe ettavolt at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 08:24:16 BST 2014

Hello.

I've recently modified dnsmasq to resolve domain names in form of <anything>.<hostname>.<lan_suffix>. This can be useful for a small web developing company, because it reduces cost for configuring virtual hosts. The non-patched dnsmasq requires configuring static leases and static A-records.

The changes are attached as 'subdomain.patch'. Modified dnsmasq is already working here for a week in the OpenWRT router and doesn't seem to cause any problems.
I'm not sure that I peeked correct property for domain suffix (dnsmasq supports managing of several networks, right?). Also, maybe this should be toggled by an option.

Besides that I would like to thank CLion that enabled me to implement this year-old idea. :)