[Dnsmasq-discuss] separate resolv.conf for each interface

Moritz Warning moritzwarning at web.de
Mon Sep 29 21:54:00 BST 2014

On 09/29/2014 09:29 PM, Simon Kelley wrote:
> On 29/09/14 14:07, Moritz Warning wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have dnsmasq running and configured to hand out different DHCP
>> ranges on two different interfaces. Pretty standard. Now I need to
>> use a different set of DNS servers for each interface.
>>
>> Is that possible?
>>
>> So far I have tried to run two dnsmasq instances. I had to patch up
>> the OpenWrt init script. But binding to interfaces or IP-addresses
>> is not possible because both interfaces share an IP-Address caused
>> by network relaying. Well, this approach is somewhat messy. :)
>>
>> Maybe I can shut down dnsmasq DNS on one interface and use a
>> different dnsmasq instance for just DNS on that interface?
>>
>> Thanks, mwarning
>

> So you need to send queries to a different set of upstream DNS
> servers, depending which interface the request is coming from? That's
> not possible.
Well, yes. That is what I need. The one network is a public one
and DNS requests should not leak over the private Internet connection.

> I'm not sure what the "both interfaces
>> share an IP-Address " stuff is about. That's likely to make it
>> very
> difficult to do anything like this, since you'll need information from
> below the IP layer even to determine which physical inteface a client
> is on.
Both interfaces have one IPv6 address in common because of odhcpds
IPv6 relay feature (https://github.com/sbyx/odhcpd). Well, maybe
we can do without.

> Cheers,
>
> Simon.

The solutions seems to disable dnsmasqs DNS and use a different program,
or to use two dnsmasq instances.

Thanks for the reply,
mwarning