[Dnsmasq-discuss] dhcp option 43 question

AJ Weber aweber at comcast.net
Mon Oct 6 14:43:33 BST 2014

Sorry for being a dunce here, but I'm confused as to how to get this
working...

I'm trying to configure some new access points, and when L3 switches,
they try and contact the AP controller via a static/standard URL.  I can
SSH into the actual APs and change that address - but that means doing
that one at a time, and could be time-consuming and error-prone.  Not to
mention I have to manage each AP's URL from then on.

There's apparently an option 43 setting that will resolve this, but even
after a few google searches, I'm confused as to how to configure this in
dnsmasq.  I'd like to configure it so only this vendor's devices gets
the option returned.

Here's the sample config for Cisco and linux dhcpd.conf...I need help
translating this into what I should include into my dnsmasq.conf file,
please?
http://wiki.ubnt.com/UniFi_FAQ#To_use_DHCP_Option_43

The other, alternate, is that these APs use the url
http://unifi:8080/inform -- so I considered setting the "cname" option
in dnsmasq to my controller.  But I couldn't get that working for some
reason.

Thanks for any tips.

-AJ