[Dnsmasq-discuss] Android untracked pid on startup

Kyle Manna 2bluesc at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 16:42:12 BST 2014

Your issue is definitely related to Android's init system.  Android
has an init system (think extremely crippled systemd or launchd) that
launches processes and restarts them when they die if so configured,
among many other things.

The init system on Android is complaining that your dnsmasq parent
process is exiting and the init system doesn't know anything about it.
This is likely because it was launched manually by you or by something
else in Android.  The process that generates the warning is the parent
process that immediately exits after forking/daemonizing dnsmasq.  The
daemonized dnsmasq would generate a the same message with a different
PID should it exit/crash.  The message is mostly harmless, but
suggests that you're not doing things the way Android init system
expects.

To fix this, modify your /init.<device>.rc file to have a dnsmasq
service.  You can start (or stop) the service with `start dnsmasq`.
Should dnsmasq crash and die, the init system will detect this and
restart it, unless oneshot is specified.  Do include the the '-d' flag
(or better yet the '-k' flag) so that process stays in the foreground
and will signal it's caller (the init system) with a SIG_CHILD should
it exit.