[Dnsmasq-discuss] SLAAC is working, but DHCPv6 isn't

Ken Welker benedictcc at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 24 13:48:52 BST 2014

> Hi Ken,
>
>> Running a packet capture on both my server and a host, I can see the
>> "solict" packet from the host to the server; however the server doesn't
>> send an "advertise" packet back to the client (but logging in syslog
>> says that it *did* send a DHCPADVERTISE, and shows a valid IPv6 address
>> that it "offered" the client.)
>>
>> No firewall rules prevent this communication; they're wide open for
>> internal traffic.
>>
>> Would anyone have ideas on why dnsmasq isn't replying to the solicit
>> (but saying that it did)?
>
> How sure are you that dnsmasq doesn't send the DHCPADVERTISE?  Have
> you already done something else, e.g. running tcpdump, in order to be
> sure that that message isn't sent?  Could it be that the message is
> sent but for some reason doesn't reach the client?
>
> Regards,
> 	Neil

Hi Neil,

I did say that I was running packet captures on both the server and the
host.  If dnsmasq had sent any replies, I would have seen them leaving
the server, even if they didn't reach the client for whatever reason.

I'm wondering if there's some complex interaction between the items in
my configuration that causes some rare bug to manifest; again, SLAAC
works just fine at the same time.  I assume others have it working fine
- anything strange about the config I posted?  Surely the order doesn't
matter, right?

-Ken