[Dnsmasq-discuss] announce prefix only

Gui Iribarren gui at altermundi.net
Sun Oct 26 22:55:41 GMT 2014

26/10/14 15:54, Moritz Warning:
> hi,
>
> I get confused a bit with slaac, ra-names etc..

hehe... it took me some time to get my head around it too :)

ra-names it's just a "feature" that you add on top of slaac or ra-stateless

both slaac and ra-stateless will set the A bit (=yes)
so hosts will autoconfigure themselves addresses

the difference is that slaac will unset O bit (=no), so hosts will just
get the RA, autoconfig an address, and that's it,
while ra-stateless sets the O bit (=yes), so after hosts get the RA,
they are expected to send a DHCPv6 request for "other" information (dns
server, dns domain...)

in both cases, tho, the address is autoconfigured, since M bit is unset
(no DHCPv6 transaction to receive an address)

unless you specify a range, of course, like
dhcp-range=2001:db8::1,2001:db8::400
which sets the M bit (=yes), so if you append either slaac or
ra-stateless, will result in hosts getting 2 addresses: one
autoconfigured, and one transactd through DHCPv6

> In my case the router does not have Internet access,
> but still, I like the clients to have slaac addresses
> according to some specific prefix (fdef:..).
> So that I do not have to resort to link local addresses.
>
> I think I need the A and M bit unset in the RA packets.

mmh.. you need the A bit *set*, to make hosts have slaac addresses

> But how can this be accomplished?

any of the following possibilites

dhcp-range=2001:db8::,slaac
dhcp-range=2001:db8::,ra-stateless
dhcp-range=2001:db8::,slaac,ra-names
dhcp-range=2001:db8::,ra-stateless,ra-names

all of those will have M bit unset (no dhcpv6 range specified)
the second (and 4th) allows you to tell hosts for ex. dns domain
dhcp-option=option6:domain-search,red.deltalibre.org.ar

and the last two, if combined with dhcpv4, will also try to discover
hosts autoconfig addresses and relate those (resolve) to names learned
by dhcpv4

hope i didn't mix things up,
cheers!

gui