[Dnsmasq-discuss] Problems forwarding DNS lookups for local domain

Malte Forkel malte.forkel at berlin.de
Sun Dec 21 11:01:00 GMT 2014

Hello,

I'm trying to convince two instances of dnsmasq to cooperate while their
LANs are connected by a bridged OpenVPN connection. Both LANs use the
same domain name and subnet. DHCP traffic through the VPN tunnel is
blocked by ebtables rules. I'm using dnsmasq 2.71 on the OpenVPN client
side and dnsmasq 2.62 on the server side

I have two questions regarding the configuration of dnsmasq on the
client side (at the moment :)).

With
    server=/<local-domain>/<server-side-server-ip>
and the VPN up, the client-side instance uses the server-side instance
for lookups. But if I put the above line into a file and use
    servers-file=<temp-file>
lookups don't work. The advantage of the second approach should be that
on a VPN status change I could adjust the file's contents and have
dnsmasq reread it with SIGHUP.

With
    server=/<local-domain>/<server-side-server-ip>
and the VPN up, lookups only work for fully-qualified names. So I tried
    server=//<server-side-server-ip>
but then lookups do not work at all. I was hoping the eventually put
both variants into the file mentioned in my first question.

In case it should matter: None of the servers is configured to be
authoritative and rebind protection on the client side is configured with
    stop-dns-rebind
    rebind-localhost-ok
    rebind-domain-ok=<local-domain>

Thanks for your help,