[Dnsmasq-discuss] No cache for CNAME records that point to the host's address

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Sun Dec 21 21:30:48 GMT 2014

Try the dnsmasq git repo, and specifically this commit, which should
fix things.

http://thekelleys.org.uk/gitweb/?p=dnsmasq.git;a=commitdiff;h=cbc652423403e3cef00e00240f6beef713142246

On 18/12/14 12:15, Janos.Mattyasovszky at bmw.de wrote:> Hi,

>> A fix would be to notice that the value of the local and upstream
>> A records are the same. That would fix this case, but need new
>> code in dnsmasq.
>
> Will this "feature" be implemented in upcoming versions?
>
> The background is, that in /etc/hosts we (I presume others as
> well)
have to include each host's IP Address, but there are regular cases,
where some services are not using additional service IP's (bad
practice, I know), but have a CNAME pointing to the VM's hostname. The
IP of a VM is constant during its lifetime, but the CNAME-s pointing
to this hostname can and will change over time, and starting to
maintain something else in the hosts file is a quantum leap backwards,
if one is already having a good DNS system...

> The other problem is if I'd to the workaround by adding the cnames
to the config file is that I don't know at the time I start dnsmasq
what CNAME-s are defined, that might point to the VM's hostname...