[Dnsmasq-discuss] [Cerowrt-devel] Problems with DNSsec on Comcast, with Cero 3.10.38-1/DNSmasq 4-26-2014

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 19:52:23 GMT 2015

OK, I built this latest dnsmasq as a test for cerowrt-3.10-50 users:

login to the router
cd /tmp
wget http://snapon.lab.bufferbloat.net/~cero2/dnsmasq/dnsmasq-full_2.73-3_ar71xx.ipk
opkg install ./dnsmasq-full_2.73-3_ar71xx.ipk
(ignore the warnings about not overwriting several files)

I did a few tests on the former dnssec problematic sites and
everything looked kosher. As for the variety of the dnssec testing web
sites.... about half seem down or mis-behaving. Sigh. the ongoing
costs of keeping core internet test tools going strikes again...

In an orgy of self-flagellation, and *only because I have native ipv6*
I also turned off dns queries over ipv4 entirely (this is option
peerdns '0'  in /etc/config/networks on cerowrt's ge00 config), and
will pound on it a few days/weeks. I send this email prior to actually
trying that, however....

On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 10:07 AM, Simon Kelley <simon at thekelleys.org.uk> wrote:

> On 08/01/15 17:44, Dave Taht wrote:
>> Wow, this thread goes back a ways. Is ds.test-ipv6.com still
>> configured wrong, and does it pass now? It passes for me (but I am
>> behind a more modern openwrt box right now)
>
> ds.test-ipv6.com is still showing the same behaviour it was back in
> April (!) as far as I can see.

My bad. The "modern openwrt" I am behind does not have the dnsmasq-full
package installed.

> Queries to test-ipv6.com (which is what
> tripped up Jim in the first place) work fine on the latest dnsmasq,
> code, forwarding to 8.8.8.8
>

>> Is there another site that demonstrates this problem?
>
> There were three in Aaron Wood's original posting (subject: Had to
> disable dnssec today)
>
> - - Bank of America (sso-fi.bankofamerica.com)
> - - Weather Underground (cdnjs.cloudflare.com)
> - - Akamai (e3191.dscc.akamaiedge.net.0.1.cn.akamaiedge.net)
>

> All three work for me with the new code. I didn't try old dnsmasq, to
> see if the repair was from that or the DNS configuration.
>

>> BTW: For a while there (on comcast), in production, I ran with
>> pure ipv6 for dns (it reduced ipv4 nat pressure significantly!),
>> but it hung after a few days and I never got back to it. Were any
>> problems like this experienced and/or fixed for dnsmasq in the past
>> 8 months or so?
>>

> http://thekelleys.org.uk/gitweb/?p=dnsmasq.git;a=commit;h=5782649ad95382dd558df97b33b64e854d8789fb
>
> is a possible candidate.

K.

>> Anyway... enough incremental fixes have landed all across the board
>> in openwrt, and the chaos calmer process seems to have settled
>> down enough, to consider doing an entirely updated cerowrt based on
>> 3.14 and pushing things like dnsmasq further forward...
>>
>> ... but I, personally, am still, not in the position to easily
>> build and test a new dnsmasq package for cerowrt and have no
>> funding or time for further development based on chaos calmer.
>> Hopefully someone else in the openwrt or cerowrt world can take up
>> the slack. I see that several bleeding edge sub-distros of openwrt
>> have also emerged on their forums...
>>
>> (Yet.... I will still try to produce a test dnsmasq version from
>> the cerowrt-3.10 tree but I doubt it would be safe to do an opkg
>> update for it.)
>
> There shouldn't be any non backwards-compatible changes in dnsmasq to
> bite you. Don't know about other stuff.

So far so good.

--
Dave Täht