[Dnsmasq-discuss] Disable IPV6 for DNS query alone

Sharan Basavaraj sharan039 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 12:48:25 GMT 2015

Problem: I am doing a DNS query and i see that queries are first sent for
AAAA address and then sent for A on failure of AAAA option.

Restriction from my side:
1) I can not disable IPV6, as it is required by some other module.
2) I tried options like "single-request" but it didn't work, I still see
queries sent for AAAA
3) I even tried compiling "dnsmasq" with option -DNO_IPV6. still i see it
sends IPV6 query.

I am using RHEL5 and I dont see an easy option of disabling IPV6 only for
"dnsmasq"

1) Can any one help with either how to modify code to disable IPV6 query or
2) provide some option so that no IPV6 queries being sent. or
3) I see that AAAA query takes 5 sec to timeout, is there any way to
restrict it to 1 sec?

Any help here is really appreciated.

Regards,
Sharan