[Dnsmasq-discuss] Disable IPV6 for DNS query alone

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Wed Jan 21 21:00:09 GMT 2015

On 20/01/15 12:48, Sharan Basavaraj wrote:
> Problem: I am doing a DNS query and i see that queries are first
> sent for AAAA address and then sent for A on failure of AAAA
> option.

This is a feature of the client which is using dnsmasq, not dnsmasq
itself. A well behaved client shouldn't delay sending an A query
whilst waiting for an AAAA response.
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6555 has the details, and the catchy
name "Happy eyeballs".

> Restriction from my side: 1) I can not disable IPV6, as it is
> required by some other module. 2) I tried options like
> "single-request" but it didn't work, I still see queries sent for
> AAAA 3) I even tried compiling "dnsmasq" with option -DNO_IPV6.
> still i see it sends IPV6 query.
>
> I am using RHEL5 and I dont see an easy option of disabling IPV6
> only for "dnsmasq"
>
> 1) Can any one help with either how to modify code to disable IPV6
> query or 2) provide some option so that no IPV6 queries being sent.
> or 3) I see that AAAA query takes 5 sec to timeout, is there any
> way to restrict it to 1 sec?

It's not clear that dnsmasq can help here. The obvious thing is for
dnsmasq to always fail AAAA queries, so the client gets on and send a
A query instead. But there are two ways dnsmasq could fail an AAAA
query. It can return "no such domain", but then the client need no
ever send the A query, since it knows that the domains doesn't exists.
Or it can return "No data", ie the domain exists, but there's no AAAA
record. That will convince that client that the domain exists even
when it doesn't, which has more subtle but possibly bad effects.

There's no lie that dnsmasq can tell in response to the AAAA query
which will never have bad effects. Making this work is more
complicated that that, hence "happy eyeballs". The easiest solution
may be a find an upstream nameserver that can handle AAAA queries in a
sensible time.