[Dnsmasq-discuss] dns query from localnetwork are blocked

T o n g mlist4suntong at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 31 03:44:26 GMT 2015

On Thu, 01 Jan 2015 19:16:20 +0000, T o n g wrote:

> I following the following to config dnsmasq as DHCP and DNS server
> http://sfxpt.wordpress.com/2013/11/30/dnsmasq-installation-
> configuration-5/
>
> It works well till Ubuntu 13.10. However, with Ubuntu 14.10, the dns
> query from localnetwork will always timeout. The configurations are
> exactly the same, What could be the problem?

Just for the archive, I've found the problem. I believe it is cause by
the new way Ubuntu 14.10 packaging dnsmasq. I've submit a bug report of
detailed description and explanation of the problem at

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dnsmasq/+bug/1414887/comments/2

Basically, the key issue is that Ubuntu 14.10 now starts dnsmasq in a
very restricted way. Here is what I found out how dnsmasq is started in
Ubuntu 14.10:

 /usr/sbin/dnsmasq --no-resolv --keep-in-foreground --no-hosts --bind-
interfaces --pid-file=/run/sendsigs.omit.d/network-manager.dnsmasq.pid --
listen-address=127.0.1.1 --conf-file=/var/run/NetworkManager/dnsmasq.conf
--cache-size=0 --proxy-dnssec --enable-
dbus=org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.dnsmasq --conf-dir=/etc/
NetworkManager/dnsmasq.d

I.e., that `--listen-address=127.0.1.1` will willfully ignore any dns
queries from local network. This is the exact reason causing the symptom
that I reported above. More details at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dnsmasq/+bug/1414887/comments/2

Thank you again Samuel for helping me identify the problem.