[Dnsmasq-discuss] Fake reverse lookups from cache

Joachim Zobel jz-2014 at heute-morgen.de
Sat Jan 31 13:57:35 GMT 2015

Hi.

I am currently thinking about implementing a feature in dnsmasq that I
consider highly useful. When I do a netstat-nat on my router (asuswrt),
I will mostly get reverse names that are about as useful as ip adresses.
So my idea is to implement a configuration option for dnsmasq:

--fake-reverse
Fake reverse lookups by using the cache. Reverse lookups are satisfied
by using the cached forward entries if possible. Note that this does not
give the same result as the reverse lookup. It will give a better
results in most situations, since it will return a name that has
actually been before.

So I have two questions:

1. What are the cons?
2. What are my chances to have such a patch accepted in dnsmasq trunk?

Sincerely,
Joachim