[Dnsmasq-discuss] proxyDHCP + EFI PXE?

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Sat Feb 14 14:56:02 GMT 2015

On 14/02/15 06:04, Greg C wrote:
> Has anybody been able to pxeboot an EFI system using Dnsmasq in
> proxyDHCP mode? Every machine I have tried fails to boot (mostly
> newer Dells with Intel cards). The relevant lines from from my
> config file are here: pxe-service=x86-64_EFI,"Loading...",snponly
> dhcp-range=192.168.0.0,proxy,255.255.0.0
>

> Watching the traffic with wireshark I can see the proxy response
> get sent containing my 'menu' encapsulated in option 43 with the
> correct boot file name. Still, the client never seems acknowledge
> the boot info, either by showing an error or attempting to boot. It
> just times out after ~60 seconds and boots to the next device. If I
> reboot
using > 'Legacy PXE', everything works perfectly (I have a line for
x86PC as > well). If I switch from proxy to full DHCP I can boot in
EFI mode
> without issue.

> I am running Dnsmasq version 2.71 on Ubuntu if that matters. Am I
> doing something wrong, or does proxyDHCP not work with EFI systems
> yet? These same machines can boot to Windows Deployment Services
> in proxyDHCP mode, so I am sure EFI PXE is capable of booting this
> way. Thanks.

There have been no changes to this code since 2.71, so upgrading won't
save you. I have no idea if this has ever worked. I've certainly never
tested it, and it wouldn't surprise me if no-one has made it work:
it's pretty niche.

I don't, AFAIK, have any suitable hardware to test this, but you may
be in a perfect position to do what I'd do next, which is to compare
the PXE packet that WDS sends, and which works, with the one the
dnsmasq sends, and is ignored. On a good day, that will give us one,
obvious, difference and an easy fix :-)

Could you post complete packet captures suitable for loading into
Wireshark, or send them directly to me if you prefer?