[Dnsmasq-discuss] localise-queries with interface-name

Jason A. Donenfeld Jason at zx2c4.com
Fri Feb 27 13:32:27 GMT 2015

Hi Simon,

Right now I have in my /etc/hosts file the following:

10.59.0.1        vitrycore.office.grafitroniks.fr vitrycore
10.59.248.1      vitrycore.office.grafitroniks.fr vitrycore
10.59.32.1       vitrycore.office.grafitroniks.fr vitrycore
10.59.252.1      vitrycore.office.grafitroniks.fr vitrycore
192.168.1.1      vitrycore.office.grafitroniks.fr vitrycore

And then in my dnsmasq config I have

localise-queries

The result is that depending on the interface, the right IP will be returned.

I'd rather not hard code this in /etc/hosts, however. Instead it'd be
nice to use the interface-name options, so that I could write:

localise-queries
interface-name=vitrycore.office.grafitroniks.fr,eth6.10
interface-name=vitrycore.office.grafitroniks.fr,eth6.80
interface-name=vitrycore.office.grafitroniks.fr,eth6.200
interface-name=vitrycore.office.grafitroniks.fr,eth7
interface-name=vitrycore.office.grafitroniks.fr,vtun0

And then localise-queries would serve the correct one, depending on
the interface.

More generally, it'd be nice if the localise-queries option could work
for *all* specified records, not just those in /etc/hosts.

What do you think?

Jason