[Dnsmasq-discuss] dns server

Thiago Farina tfransosi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 03:15:45 BST 2015

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 10:56 PM, Linux Luser <linuxluser at gmail.com> wrote:
> Are you running dnsmasq through NetworkManager on the server or the client?
Yes, I'm running it through NetworkManager on the server. :/

I have this in my NetworkManager.conf:

$ cat /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
[main]
plugins=ifupdown,keyfile
dns=dnsmasq

no-auto-default=84:2B:2B:7C:96:69,

[ifupdown]
managed=false

Is it better to run it standalone? How can I change this?

> The version of dnsmasq for NetworkManager is compiled with different options
> than standard dnsmasq installs (those that come as a package for a distro).
>
> If the /etc/dnsmasq.conf file you showed is the one that's on your server,
> then you need to supply at least one more 'server' option to specify an
> upstream server for queries that dnsmasq doesn't know the answers to.
>
> So, in addition to "server=/mydomain.org/192.168.0.101", you need to add:
>
> server=8.8.8.8
>
> That will tell dnsmasq to forward queries it doesn't know about upstream.
> You can have more than one 'server=' line.

Right. I will add this line to dnsmasq.conf as well.

--
Thiago Farina