[Dnsmasq-discuss] dns server

Thiago Farina tfransosi at gmail.com
Fri May 15 20:39:08 BST 2015

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 4:23 PM, Hartmut Krafft <hartmut at mail.ru> wrote:
> On Mon, 11 May 2015 13:49:59 -0300
> Thiago Farina <tfransosi at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Thiago,
>
>> Hi Hartmut!
>>
>> Thanks a lot for giving me a good overview of the changes I need to
>> make in order to make it happen. I think you understood right what I'm
>> trying to configure in my home network.
>>
>> private, off-list, but feel free to redirect it to the mailing list if
>> you feel so.
>>

> Well, I'd rather keep it on the list because it will get archived, and,
> maybe, someone with similar questions won't have to ask ;-). And others
> can correct me should I write BS ;-)
>
>> On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 3:14 PM, Hartmut Krafft <hartmut at mail.ru>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > you should sort out your setup and assign the functions to your
>> > machines so that they don't get in each other's way.
>> >
>> > So, you've got the router and the server, and the clients in the
>> > LAN. Let the router's DNS be unknown to the other machines in the
>> > LAN. Let the server be the LAN's DNS and forward queries to the
>> > router. To achieve this, run your LAN DNS and DHCP daemon on the
>> > server. Don't try to persuade the router to use the server's DNS,
>> > this will be too convoluted.
>> I've been sleeping on this.
>>
>> How the LAN clients will know the Server?
>
> The server machine hands out the information by DHCP to the clients in
> the LAN, just like your router does it now.
>
> OK: one difficulty might be hidden here: is the router also your Wifi
> access point?
Yes.

> Then, you'll have to consider some more things. I've been
> assuming that the LAN clients connect to the server directly.
They are not, only the server is connected directly to the router via
ethernet on port 1.

> If the server and the Wifi access point are in the same subnet and the
> DHCP info handed out has the correct gateway for that subnet, all should
> be fine.

It is not clear to me how the clients will get their ip addresses if
the dhcp server won't be running in the router.

If the dhcp server will be on the server, how the clients will know that?

When I started this adventure I didn't know it would be too tricky.

--
Thiago Farina