[Dnsmasq-discuss] how to avoid reading /etc/dnsmasq.conf

Kristian Lein-Mathisen kristian at adellica.com
Tue Jul 7 10:21:34 BST 2015

Hi!

I'm using dnsmasq for bootstrapping our embedded linux device, and dnsmasq
is working really great.

However, I cannot seem to be able to avoid dnsmasq reading the
configuration file from /etc/dnsmasq.conf and use _only_ my command-line
arguments. Lets say you have this:

$ cat /etc/dnsmasq.conf
tftp-root=/bad/path
enable-tftp

$ dnsmasq -tftp-root=/good/path
dnsmasq: TFTP directory /bad/path inaccessible: No such file or directory

$ # this doesn't work either:
$ dnsmasq --conf-file="" -tftp-root=/good/path
dnsmasq: TFTP directory /bad/path inaccessible: No such file or directory

$ dnsmasq --version
Dnsmasq version 2.73  Copyright (c) 2000-2015 Simon Kelley
Compile time options: IPv6 GNU-getopt DBus no-i18n no-IDN DHCP DHCPv6
no-Lua TFTP no-conntrack ipset auth DNSSEC loop-detect inotify

Why does the conf-file take presedence over command-line args? Why does it
try to read /etc/dnsmasq.conf even though I'm giving it an empty filename
for a conf-file?

Thanks for any pointers!
K.