[Dnsmasq-discuss] Support for RFC5970 - DHCPv6 Options for Network Boot

Sean M. Collins sean at coreitpro.com
Wed Aug 26 18:41:50 BST 2015

Hi,

I'm more familiar with isc-dhcpd for doing PXE booting - which does have
support for passing PXE information over DHCPv6. I searched the docs and
a little bit of the dnsmasq code but didn't find any good results for
this question:

Does dnsmasq support setting PXE options for DHCPv6?

I do see the -M for BOOTP specifies that it is IPv4 only, but the other
configuration flag --pxe-service in the manpage doesn't specify if the
IP adddress parameter can be IPv6 or not.

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/trusty/man8/dnsmasq.8.html

I'll say that I haven't fiddled with dnsmasq or tried launching it with
the parameters, at this point I'm just trying to see if the
documentation is still correct on the Ubuntu Wiki that

>> If you wish to support netboot over IPv6, you will need to use
>> isc-dhcp-server; at present, dnsmasq does not support the DHCPv6
>> extensions for tftp booting.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UEFI/SecureBoot-PXE-IPv6

Thanks!

--