[Dnsmasq-discuss] strict-order backwards in Debian 7 dnsmasq 2.72-3 (vs dnsmasq 2.59)?

Tim Wright tenortim at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 18:00:36 BST 2015

Hello,
I apologize if this is something known, or if I'm doing something silly,
but I switched over from Ubuntu 12.04LTS (dnsmasq 2.59) to Debian 7 stable
(dnsmasq 2.72-3) and I'm seeing something odd. I have "strict order"
enabled, and many lines in /etc/dnsmasq.conf of the form:

server=/example.domain.com/<corp DNS server 1>
server=/example.domain.com/<corp DNS server 2>
server=/example.domain.com/<corp DNS server 3>
server=/example.domain.com/<local DNS server>
server=/example.domain.com/8.8.8.8

The reason for this is that there are a number of names where "
example.domain.com" returns a different, internal IP address when connected
to the corporate network (vpn), but I want to fail back to the external if
the vpn is down etc.

In version 2.59, this worked perfectly. In the newer version, it appears to
be completely backwards. I reversed the entire config file so that entries
are now of the form:

server=/example.domain.com/8.8.8.8
server=/example.domain.com/<local DNS server>
server=/example.domain.com/<corp DNS server 3>
server=/example.domain.com/<corp DNS server 2>
server=/example.domain.com/<corp DNS server 1>

but I was curious if this is expected behaviour or whether it would be
considered a bug.

Thanks,

Tim