[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq on Ubuntu 14.04 and Network Manager

Brian Watson bwats9999 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 15:04:08 BST 2015

Hi,
   I had this working on Ubuntu 10.04, but now I would like to get it
working on 14.04 with a better understanding of what's happening. On 10.04
I installed dnsmasq without understanding that there was probably one
already installed as part of NetworkManager. With 14.04 I would like to
just use the version that's used by NetworkManager, but I didn't understand
the following:

1. The first thing I needed to do was to find the existing dnsmasq.conf so
that I could add my changes there and there is a version in
/etc/dbus-1/system.d/dnsmasq.conf
 2. dnsmasq.conf - it has XML type data in it related to busconfig with
some policies depending on the user.
 3. Can this file be modified so that I can add an interface with an
address range of IP addresses that I would like to use?
 4. If I install an independent version of dnsmasq does that interfere with
the NetworkManager one?
 5. Where is the NetworkManager one being started from? I looked in
/etc/init.d, but I didn't see anything for dnsmasq. I grepped the running
processes and it shows up as running.

Best Regards,
   BW