[Dnsmasq-discuss] Problem with VM and dnsmasq

Albert ARIBAUD albert.aribaud at free.fr
Wed Oct 7 15:24:44 BST 2015

Hi mario,

Le Wed, 7 Oct 2015 15:41:15 +0200, mario <jjskoli at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Hello, my first post.
>
> I use as a gateway a Debian Jessie pc with dnsmasq providing both DHCP
> and DNS.
>
> Normally, it works flawlessly, but there may be one bug. On one of my
> pcs (Ubuntu 14.04)
> I run a VirtualBox instance with an Arch Linux VM for which I have
> chosen a Bridged
> Adapter mode. When the host is on Ethernet the VM  gets an IP address
> from dnsmasq
> unfailingly. But when the host in on wifi, and the VM still in bridged
> adapter mode, the VM cannot seem to obtain an IP address.
>
> [...]
>

> I would be glad of any feedback, I hope I have provided enough info to
> allow diagnosing the problem.

In a Virtualox VM, you have to specify which host interface your VM's
interface is bridged to; there is no setting such as "the currently up
and running interface", it has to be one existing interface, and it is
a static setting.

Therefore, if it is bridged to eth0, and eth0 is on the network, then
all is fine on the VM; but if you switch the host to wlan0, then the VM
still tries to use eth0 (and fails).

One solution may be to define two VM interfaces and bridge one to eth0
and one to wlan0. At least one of them will be... bound... to get DHCP
right (but the other one may still believe it has an IP address when
its host counterpart is down; I havent't tried this setup).

> Cheers,
>
> Mario

Amicalement,
--