[Dnsmasq-discuss] Wildcard DNS on amazon EC2 instance

Lorenz Vanthillo lorenz.vanthillo at outlook.com
Thu Nov 12 12:09:54 GMT 2015

I have OpenShift v3 installed on an Amazon EC2 instance. It's not a
problem when you don't know OpenShift to answer this question. OpenShift
 contains a router and routes which makes it possible to access services
 by their hostname (for example www.example.com).

In my initial configuration I was working like this:

I linked a service and a hostname.On my own PC (not the server), I edited /etc/hosts and added the following:

52.18.247.x myapp.apps.example.com

52.18.247.x is my public IP of the amazon instance. This was working.
 So I could acces myapp.apps.example in my browser. But I knew this was
not the best way to do it. So I wanted to set up a Wildcard for
resolving this issue. I cleared my /etc/hosts on my real pc and went into my amazon instance:

yum install dnsmasq

dnsmasq is running on port 53.

vi /etc/dnsmasq.conf

add:

address=/apps.example.com/52.18.247.x

Than I did a restart:

sudo service dnsmasq restart

But it is not working and I cannot visit my services (apps) in my browser. What am I doing wrong?