[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq-tftp : failed sending file

Louis Garcia louisgtwo at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 07:14:34 GMT 2015

I am trying to debug a uefi pxe problem and found tftp failing to send
files. I created /var/lib/tftpboot/test.txt file and from another computer
I used the tftp command to get the file.

$tftp 192.168.0.5
tftp> get test.txt
Transfer timed out.

I found this is the logs over and over
Nov 22 01:58:20 tiger dnsmasq-tftp[2282]: failed sending
/var/lib/tftpboot/test.txt to 192.168.0.26

sometimes this
Nov 22 01:58:38 tiger dnsmasq-tftp[2282]: error 8 User aborted the transfer
received from 192.168.0.26

# Configuration file for dnsmasq:

# Turn on the debugging
log-dhcp

# Don't function as a DNS server
port=0

# kill multicast
dhcp-option=vendor:PXEClient,6,2b

# This range(s) is for the public interface, where dnsmasq functions
# as a proxy DHCP server providing boot information but no IP leases.
# Any ip in the subnet will do, so you may just put your server NIC ip here.
dhcp-range=192.168.0.5,proxy

# Set the boot filename for netboot/PXE. You will only need this if you
want to
# boot machines over the network and you will need the built in TFTP server.

#pxe-prompt="What system shall I netboot?", timeout before first available
action is taken:
pxe-prompt="Press F8 for the Menu.", 5

#Loads <tftp-root>/pxelinux.0 from dnsmasq TFTP server.
pxe-service=x86PC, "Install Fedora Workstation, (BIOS)", pxelinux

#Loads <tftp-root>/uefi/shim.efi from dnsmasq TFTP server.
pxe-service=X86-64_EFI, "Boot From Network, (UEFI)", grubx64
pxe-service=BC_EFI, "Boot From Network, (UEFI)", grubx64

# Enable dnsmasq's built-in TFTP server
enable-tftp

# Set the root directory for files available via FTP.
tftp-root=/var/lib/tftpboot