[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq exists with sigterm following bootp messages

Thomas Ballantyne tballantyne at netflix.com
Tue Dec 1 20:16:27 GMT 2015

Hi Simon,

Seeing an issue where BOOTP messages are crashing dnsmasq. dnsmasq exits
with a SIGTERM.

I tried adding

dhcp-ignore=bootp

to dnsmasq.more.conf but that did not solve the problem.

I've tested on Ubuntu 14.0.4, with dnsmasq 2.75.

We run dnsmasq within a virtual machine image of Ubuntu 14. We connect
devices under test (set top boxes, smart TVs, consoles, etc.) to the VM via
a USB dongle. The device under test attempts to lease an IP address from
dnsmasq on the host machine (192.168.144.xx) and then connect to the
Netfllix cloud (10.10.xx.xx.) Our Network Agent software running on the
host acts like a simple two port router, reconfigures the device under
test, and does additional dns overrides to allow connections to our test
and production infrastructure.

We see this issue specifically when connecting a partner Smart TV to the
host running dnsmasq via USB dongle.  The partner TV runs Linux/Android
OS.  Other devices under the same configuration do not show this behavior.
We've reported the issue to the partner as well. They indicate they do not
see the issue when bypassing dnsmasq. Problem happens anywhere from 30-50%
of hard reboots. The end result is the TV fails to lease an IP address.
I've also seen the USB dongle issue BOOTP messages causing dnsmasq to exit
with sigterm.

'service restart dnsmasq' works to bring dnsmasq back after the failure.

I've attached a portion of the dnsmasq logs (30 lines before sigterm.)

Anything we can do here? Let me know if I can provide more detail.

Thanks,
Thomas

Thomas Ballantyne
Operations Engineer, Netflix