[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq 2.75 build options

Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant kevin at darbyshire-bryant.me.uk
Mon Dec 7 10:57:10 GMT 2015

On 07/12/15 04:39, [redacted] wrote:
> Looking at the build options listed in /src/config.h it states the
> following:
>
> *The default set of options to build*
>
> HAVE_DHCP
> HAVE_DHCP6
> HAVE_TFTP
> HAVE_SCRIPT
> HAVE_AUTH
> HAVE_IPSET
> HAVE_LOOP
>
> *In the same config.h file is says you can disable options using the
> following:*
>
> NO_IPV6
> NO_TFTP
> NO_DHCP
> NO_DHCP6
> NO_SCRIPT
> NO_LARGEFILE
> NO_AUTH
> NO_INOTIFY
> NO_NETTLE_ECC
> NO_GMP
>
> *This apparently is the complete list of all the options you can have:*
> **
> HAVE_BROKEN_RTC
> HAVE_TFTP
> HAVE_DHCP
> HAVE_DHCP6
> HAVE_SCRIPT
> HAVE_LUASCRIPT
> HAVE_DBUS
> HAVE_IDN
> HAVE_CONNTRACK
> HAVE_IPSET
> HAVE_AUTH
> HAVE_DNSSEC
> HAVE_LOOP
> HAVE_INOTIFY
> I don't understand if the default build options above are the only
> options built in during build time then why are there options to
> disable  the following options where they have no HAVE options to go
> along with them:
>
> NO_IPV6
> NO_LARGEFILE
> NO_NETTLE_ECC
> NO_GMP
GMP is the GNU Multiple Precision maths library and is only relevant for
DNSSEC operation (crypto)  The actual crypto is provided by 'nettle'.
Nettle can be built with its own (slower) maths lib instead of GMP,
hence NO_GMP is really an option for (or passed on to) nettle - it
doesn't affect what features are built into dnsmasq.  Similarly nettle
itself can be built without elliptic curve crypto (NO_NETTLE_ECC)

The other 2 options are 'disable only' - I suspect to indicate they're
more switching off 'defaults'.  NO_IPV6 turns off all IPv6 functionality
in dnsmasq.  Disabling largefile support is to cope with the case where
'uclibc' doesn't support >32 bit file offset pointers/sizes.  Dnsmasq
goes back quite a way :-)

Kevin