[Dnsmasq-discuss] Dnsmasq fails to offer static lease (IPv4) occasionally

Timo Sigurdsson public_timo.s at silentcreek.de
Mon Jan 11 16:53:10 GMT 2016

Hi Albert,

Albert ARIBAUD schrieb am 11.01.2016 17:09:

> Hi Timo,
>
> Le Mon, 11 Jan 2016 15:44:52 +0100 (CET)
> "Timo Sigurdsson" <public_timo.s at silentcreek.de> a écrit:
>
>> When a client does not receive the correct static lease, I can see in
>> the logs that dnsmasq doesn't send a DHCPOFFER after a DHCPDISCOVER.
>> But I don't see why. I can see, though, that when a client gets a
>> dynamic IP instead of a static one, dnsmasq refuses to assign the
>> local domain name (hostname.lan) to this client that is listed
>> in /etc/hosts. So, dnsmasq seems to recognize the client after all,
>> but fails to offer the static lease.
>
> The problem of describing some of dnsmasq's log entries is that maybe
> some other log entry would explain things but you're not mentioning it.
> Can you copy-paste them here all dnsmaq log entries in the log?

Oh boy, I just looked at the logs again and I think I found the culprit:
Mon Jan 11 00:08:14 2016 daemon.info dnsmasq[2527]: read /etc/hosts - 16 addresses
Mon Jan 11 00:08:14 2016 daemon.info dnsmasq[2527]: read /tmp/hosts/dhcp - 1 addresses
Mon Jan 11 00:08:14 2016 daemon.info dnsmasq-dhcp[2527]: read /etc/ethers - 0 addresses

For some reason my /etc/ethers file is gone (empty).

I don't know how that happened. But I will recreate it first and see if that solves it. If I stumble over the issue again (with a populated ethers file), I will post again to the mailing list and make sure you get the full logs.

I'm really sorry for the noise!

Regards,

Timo