[Dnsmasq-discuss] redundant/resiliant dnsmasq servers?

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Sat Mar 26 13:50:58 GMT 2016

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 11:06:39AM +0100, Matthias Andree wrote:
> Regarding failover or backups, be sure to check dhcp-authoritative.
> It does not appear that dnsmasq has facilities to share its leases
> database with other software.  You'd probably have to cook
> synchronization on your own with scripts or lua scripts.

And it's probably worth noting that a major design goal of dnsmasq is
to remain simple.  It targets (and nicely fills) most common needs,
and unlike many network services, you don't have to devote a lot of
time to learn how to run and manage it.

I'm sure if Simon can figure out a simple way to do failover, he
will, but I don't expect it. :)

Right now the best option for failover seems to be ISC DHCP 4.3, or
possibly Kea for the adventurous (a failover protocol does not seem
to be implemented yet, but lease database sharing is possible with
another possible point of failure: mysql or PostgreSQL.)
--
  http://rob0.nodns4.us/