[Dnsmasq-discuss] dig for an ip address returns A record instead of NXDOMAIN

Jeff Weber jweber at cofront.net
Wed Mar 30 18:05:32 BST 2016

I'm using dnsmasq as a local dns cache on some servers and I've noticed
recently (due to some buggy software) that if you dig for an ip address you
get an A record back which is set to that ip address. I went through the
manual and wasn't able to find an option which seems like it could make
this configurable. Is there a way to turn this response into an NXDOMAIN
instead of returning the synthesized A record?

I'm using dnsmasq verision 2.66 on a Centos 7 machine.