[Dnsmasq-discuss] dig for an ip address returns A record instead of NXDOMAIN

Albert ARIBAUD albert.aribaud at free.fr
Thu Mar 31 09:10:37 BST 2016

Hi,

Le Wed, 30 Mar 2016 16:59:07 -0400
Jeff Weber <jweber at cofront.net> a écrit:

> The behavior I'm seeing it that any host with dnsmasq in it's query
> path when running dig returns an A record the response is NOERROR and
> the answer section has an A record which looks like
>
> 192.168.100.100. 0 IN A 192.168.100.100
>
> If I perform a dig against the upstream server directly I receive an
> NXDOMAIN.
>
> I made the assumption that dnsmasq was creating this response was
> coming from dnsmasq. I'll do a more detailed investigation to
> validate that is true.

I can confirm this behavior on a dnsmasq v2.62 configured with
static leases plus a static list of local hosts (so that name
resolution works even when host is down). Running dig from the server
itself, thus asking dnsmasq directly, yields the following:

$ dig jdoe
;; ANSWER SECTION:
jdoe.			0	IN	A	192.168.0.1
$ dig -x 192.168.0.1
192.168.0.1.		0	IN	A	192.168.0.1

Its local upstream is an unbound server on the same machine and
on port:

$ dig -p 1234 192.168.0.1

(names and numbers paranoidly transposed from real setup even though
some possibly transpire through my posts)

Amicalement,
--
Albert.