[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq does not respect BOOTP's broadcast flag

Albert ARIBAUD albert.aribaud at free.fr
Fri Apr 1 06:24:44 BST 2016

Hello,

Le Fri, 1 Apr 2016 02:38:30 +0000
黎伟强 <weiqiang_li at hotmail.com> a écrit:

> Dear all,       I got a router using dnsmasq-2.66 for DHCP services,
> and I encountered a bug that the dnsmasq server does not respond to
> my PC's DHCPREQUEST( normally it should respond with a DHCPNAK? ), so
> it takes an obvious long time to got a new IP for my
> PC.
>
>                      So, is this really a bug or it is just
> something wrong with my PC(Works well with other DHCP server)?  At my
> first thought, I think it should be a bug that has been solved, so I
> reviewed the latest(ver.2.75) dnsmasq source code, however, neither
> did it care about this flag.
>
>       I also attached a patch for this.

Are you sure that this is BOOTP related?

As long as dnsmasq is configured to *not* be authoritative, it will
*not* respond with NAKs to requests (as these NAKs might interfere with
another, authoritative, server's positive answers).

Existing option -K (or --dhcp-authoritative in long form) will tell
dnsmasq that it is indeed the only DHCP server around and therefore
authoritative, and as such, it will then emit NAKs for bad requests
(see 'man dnsmasq' for details).

Can you try without your patch and with -K option?

Amicalement,
--
Albert.