[Dnsmasq-discuss] IPv6 link-local upstream servers with «@if» no longer works

Tore Anderson tore at fud.no
Sun Apr 10 09:24:10 BST 2016

Hello,

Prior to commit «3934155 Cope with multiple interfaces with the same LL
address.» this worked fine:

$ dnsmasq -dqhRS fe80::1234 at eth0

After the mentioned commit this no longer works. I can confirm (using
tcpdump) that the queries are forwarded just fine to fe80::1234 on the
eth0 interface. However it appears that dnsmasq simply ignores the
stub resolver (which eventually times out).

Since commit «7de060b import of dnsmasq-2.58.tar.gz» it is possible to
seems as if that there is no longer a method of specifying an IPv6
link-local upstream server that works regardless of dnsmasq version.

For the record, the change broke NetworkManager, which explicitly uses
«@» as the delimiter in order to support dnsmasq versions prior to 2.58:

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/tree/src/dns-manager/nm-dns-dnsmasq.c#n141

The change clearly broke backwards compatibility, but seeing how there
are no warnings about that in the changelog I assuming it was
unintentional and thus a bug?

Tore