[Dnsmasq-discuss] Bug: getting upstream ipv6 responses when only have local ipv6

Daniel Dickinson lede at daniel.thecshore.com
Thu May 26 01:27:47 BST 2016

Hi,

I've been using dnsmasq on openwrt/lede and run into an issue.
openwrt/lede is has dual stack enabled by default, which means that the
local network has both ipv4 and ipv6. However I do not have an ipv6
tunnel or an ISP with ipv6 upstream, so I end up with a situation where
I get AAAA replies to DNS queries, but end up with connection errors due
to lack of external ipv6.

This occurs at least with Ubuntu (Windows doesn't have the same issue
because of it's DNS check to verify internet access with ipv6).

It'd be good to be able to configure dnsmasq to serve only local ipv6
addresses (e.g. from hosts) but not use upstream AAAA records.

Regards,

Daniel