[Dnsmasq-discuss] Logging milliseconds//Addendum

Albert ARIBAUD albert.aribaud at free.fr
Tue Jun 21 19:04:47 BST 2016

Hi Manfred,

Le Tue, 21 Jun 2016 17:30:13 +0200
<mabra at manfbraun.de> a écrit:

> Hi All !
>
> I just changed some free DNS against some other free DNS
> and now, I have more problems then bevore. Though I'll
> extend my logging thoughs: In the DNSMasq answer is not
> visible which of dns provided the answer - that makes diag
> problematic.

Seems you started a new thread while I was answering on the previous
one.

Short answer: I would suggest that you avoid trying "this and that" as
well as ad hoc patching", and that you follow a more systematic approach
to solving your problem, by running tcpdump on the machine which hosts
your dnsmasq.

Also, you should really try and make other hypotheses than just your ISP
messing with DNS. For instance, have you tried to find out how much of
your uplink bandwidth you're using? Because if your uplink saturates,
then UDP packets sch as DNS requests might get dropped by your ISP's
modem.

> Thanks anyway,
> Manfred

Amicalement,