[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq to provide public DNS service

Albert ARIBAUD albert.aribaud at free.fr
Thu Jun 30 13:37:17 BST 2016

Hi Tong,

Le Thu, 30 Jun 2016 12:03:07 +0000 (UTC)
T o n g <mlist4suntong at yahoo.com> a écrit:

> Does no reply means impossible, or just nobody has look into it yet?

It is perfectly possible tu run dnsmasq as a "public" DNS, if by this
you mean "make it serve requests from other hosts than the one it is
running on", or even, "make it serve requests from any host" --
although the latter is risky, as you'd basically create an open DNS
server.

Now, for th reason why your tests fail, there is not enough info in
your post to allow diagnosing what is wrong. Notably, you do not
indicate how the machine from which you run dig gets its DNS servers:
the issue could just as well be there.

> On Wed, 29 Jun 2016 03:28:02 +0000, T o n g wrote:
>
> > If I'm to provide DNS service to the public (outside my local
> > network) using dnsmasq, how to do it, e.g., how to set the
> > listen-address? It didn't work out of the box after I installed it
> > in my Ubuntu (16.04 LTS xenial) so I changed to the following, but
> > it stops working:
> >
> >     $ cat /etc/dnsmasq.d/public.conf # listen to public
> >     listen-address=0.0.0.0 # provide only DNS service and disable
> > DHCP and TFTP on it no-dhcp-interface=eth0
> >
> >     $ dig +short docs.google.com ;; connection timed out; no servers
> >     could be reached
> >
> >     $ netstat -ulnp | grep :53 (Not all processes could be
> > identified, non-owned process info
> > 	 will not be shown, you would have to be root to see it
> > all.) udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:53
> > 0.0.0.0:*                           -
> >     udp6       0      0 :::53                   :::*
> >

> > Please help.
> > Thanks.

Amicalement,
--