[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq to provide public DNS service

Albert ARIBAUD albert.aribaud at free.fr
Sat Jul 2 20:27:11 BST 2016

Hi Tong,

Le Sat, 2 Jul 2016 17:07:50 +0000 (UTC)
T o n g <mlist4suntong at yahoo.com> a écrit:

> Oh, sorry for responding late.
>
> The machine from which I run dig gets its DNS servers is the one that
> I tweaked the /etc/dnsmasq.d/public.conf file, by doing which my DNS
> breaks. And on removing the file, my DNS service (servered by local
> dnsmasq) works again.
>
> And, yes, basically I'm creating an open DNS server, and since nobody
> is doing that, I can't find any information on how to set it up
> properly.

Nobody should do that indeed, because it is a very bad idea: your
machine may then serve as an amplifier for DDoS attacks.

Still, the configuration -- as far as dnsmasq is concerned -- is the
same for an open DNS and a LAN DNS.

Could you please describe your setup from a network perspective ?

> Please help. Thanks
>
> On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 14:37:17 +0200, Albert ARIBAUD wrote:
>
> > Hi Tong,
> >
> > Le Thu, 30 Jun 2016 12:03:07 +0000 (UTC)
> > T o n g a écrit:
> >
> >> Does no reply means impossible, or just nobody has look into it
> >> yet?
> >
> > It is perfectly possible tu run dnsmasq as a "public" DNS, if by
> > this you mean "make it serve requests from other hosts than the one
> > it is running on", or even, "make it serve requests from any host"
> > -- although the latter is risky, as you'd basically create an open
> > DNS server.
> >
> > Now, for th reason why your tests fail, there is not enough info in
> > your post to allow diagnosing what is wrong. Notably, you do not
> > indicate how the machine from which you run dig gets its DNS
> > servers: the issue could just as well be there.

Amicalement,
--
Albert.