[Dnsmasq-discuss] dhcp-range broke in 2.76

Matthew Keeler mjkeeler7 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 15:31:05 BST 2016

I have been using dnsmasq for a while on my local network with several dhcp
ranges specified. One of them no longer parses in v2.76 although it did in
v2.75.

dhcp-range=10.3.2.1,10.3.2.127,static,255.255.254.0,infinite

It looks like it is now no longer valid to have a start and end ipv4
address with the static mode where this was allowed previously. Was this an
intentional removal? My understanding (which may be incorrect) was that to
have a ip range reserved for dhcp reservations required having the dhcp
range specified and the dhcp-hosts specified to ips that fall within that
range. Then that range would have the static mode to prevent auto
assignment of ips to other unknown hosts.

If this is intended behavior and not a bug, how can I allocate an IP range
for DHCP reservations? I think something like the following should work to
produce the same results although it is a rather ugly solution as it
requires adding tags in many, many places.

dhcp-range=tag:reserved,10.3.2.1,10.3.2.127,255.255.254.0,infinite
dhcp-host=00:01:02:03:04:05,set:reserved,10.3.2.7,myhost

--
Matthew Keeler