[Dnsmasq-discuss] dhcp-range broke in 2.76

Albert ARIBAUD albert.aribaud at free.fr
Wed Jul 6 16:45:39 BST 2016

Hi Matthew,

Le Wed, 6 Jul 2016 10:31:05 -0400
Matthew Keeler <mjkeeler7 at gmail.com> a écrit:

> I have been using dnsmasq for a while on my local network with
> several dhcp ranges specified. One of them no longer parses in v2.76
> although it did in v2.75.
>
> dhcp-range=10.3.2.1,10.3.2.127,static,255.255.254.0,infinite
>
> It looks like it is now no longer valid to have a start and end ipv4
> address with the static mode where this was allowed previously. Was
> this an intentional removal? My understanding (which may be
> incorrect) was that to have a ip range reserved for dhcp reservations
> required having the dhcp range specified and the dhcp-hosts specified
> to ips that fall within that range. Then that range would have the
> static mode to prevent auto assignment of ips to other unknown hosts.
>
> If this is intended behavior and not a bug, how can I allocate an IP
> range for DHCP reservations? I think something like the following
> should work to produce the same results although it is a rather ugly
> solution as it requires adding tags in many, many places.
>
> dhcp-range=tag:reserved,10.3.2.1,10.3.2.127,255.255.254.0,infinite
> dhcp-host=00:01:02:03:04:05,set:reserved,10.3.2.7,myhost

What do you mean by "reservations"? Static leases? For that you need
nothing more than a dhcp-host= line mapping the MAC or DUID to a static
IPv4 address, for each static lease you want.

The static keyword in dhcp-range= tells dnsmasq to not do dynamic
allocation, so basically a range is useless (as far as allocation is
concerned) if you specify static.

I personally define my dhcp-range= line without static and with a
small range for the odd guest machine, and my dhcp-host= lines with IPv4
addresses lying outside that range -- but even if a static lease IP
address fell within the dynamic DHCP range, dnsmasq would not use that
address for dynamic allocation.

Amicalement,
--
Albert.