[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq to provide public DNS service

T o n g mlist4suntong at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 7 14:06:42 BST 2016

On Thu, 07 Jul 2016 12:33:53 +0200, Albert ARIBAUD wrote:

> To determine which variant of netcat is present on these machines, if
> any, could you run the following command, once on the dedicated server,
> and once on the machine you are using to access the server:
>
> 	netcat -h
>
> ... and copy-paste both outputs in your reply?

Both machines are running the latest Ubuntu. I.e., the output are the
same for both of them.

$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release:        16.04
Codename:       xenial

$ apt-cache policy netcat-openbsd
netcat-openbsd:
  Installed: 1.105-7ubuntu1
  Candidate: 1.105-7ubuntu1
  Version table:
 *** 1.105-7ubuntu1 500
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

$ netcat -h
OpenBSD netcat (Debian patchlevel 1.105-7ubuntu1)

> Once we have netcat available on both ends, we will be able to mimic DNS
> exchanges between the machines but without dnsmasq being involved;

The connect is not the problem. I've stopped dnsmasq temporarily and
start SSH listening to port 53 and I was able to connect from home.