[Dnsmasq-discuss] suggestion filter out loopback addresses for query

Junyang Gu mikejyg at fastmail.com
Tue Aug 2 15:39:23 BST 2016

It seems to me that dnsmasq should filter out loopback addresses for DNS
queries universally, or at least provide such an option.

Consider such a scenario,

dnsmasq runs on host1, and host1's /etc/hosts contains 127.0.1.1 host1,
which is usually the case.

A second machine host2 queries dnsmasq for host1, and would get
127.0.1.1, which is also a valid IP address, except it goes to host2.

I do not see any any scenario where dnsmasq should return a loopback
address.

Regards

--
  Junyang Gu