[Dnsmasq-discuss] serial number not changed on kill -HUP

Harald Dunkel harald.dunkel at aixigo.de
Fri Aug 5 11:15:19 BST 2016

Hi folks,

if I edit /etc/hosts to add a new host and send dnsmasq a
SIGHUP, then the logfile says

Aug  5 12:08:36 dnsmasq[93750]: read /etc/hosts - 189 addresses

Local DNS works as expected: The new host name is resolved.

Problem is, that the serial number in the SOA doesn't change,
as "dig @localhost example.com SOA" shows. This seems to break
zone transfers.

If I restart dnsmasq, then there is a new serial number and
everything is fine.

dnsmasq is version 2.76, platform is Debian 8.

Can anybody reproduce this? Every helpful hint is highly
appreciated.

Regards
Harri