[Dnsmasq-discuss] Static IP client question

wkitty42 at gmail.com wkitty42 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 16:19:33 BST 2016

On 08/07/2016 10:29 AM, Edward Crosby wrote:
> So, in the /etc/dnsmasq.conf file configure the DHCP settings to always give
> a specific IP address to my PC? Sort of like a reserved IP in Windows DHCP
> server?

it is called psuedo-static because it is static handed out by dhcp based on the
MAC address... it is a trick some ISPs use when they sell you a static IP for
$100US a year and it takes less than 2 minutes to put in the configuration...
you have to remember, though, that if you change your NIC, you have to adjust
the dhcp configuration for the new MAC, too...

we use psuedo-static here on all our systems... it makes it much easier to
control when/if any network address renumbering has to be done... change the
assigned IP numbers and let the lease expirations take care of the systems
getting their new numbers... then maybe go around later and deal with shared
resources that are using IP numbers instead of host names ;)