[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq: routing non /24 reverse in-addr.arpa requests

Albert ARIBAUD albert.aribaud at free.fr
Mon Aug 29 06:06:40 BST 2016

Hi Alessandro,

Le Sun, 28 Aug 2016 19:03:48 +0200
Alessandro Bottonelli <alessandro at bottonelli.it> a écrit:

> Now I have to plan the make and install of a
> "/usr/local/sbin/dnsmasq" and the replacement of the repository
> version. I've to do it directly on a fully operational, 7x24,
> mission-critical server, 600 Km away. Therefore, I've to do it just
> like porcupines make love: VERY CAUTIOUSLY! :-)))

There is an advantage to your situation over that of porcupine
reproduction: you can set up the newer dnsmasq to run on a non-standard
port, which allows you to run tests on it using dig et al. while at the
same time not disturbing the production setup (but be wary not to kill
the wrong dnsmasq, though! I suggest running the tested dnsmasq in the
foreground in its own terminal, killing it with ^C rather than 'kill').

> Such rev-server option looks very promising.
>
> Since you have been helping a lot, I will post the results to the
> list in a few days, for your an anybody's else reference.

Thanks a lot.

> Grazie mille Albert,

NP!

Amicalement,