[Dnsmasq-discuss] Question about addn-hosts and cache-size directives

george Nopicture mad-proffessor at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 18 10:45:13 BST 2016

Hello Simon, congrats for such a great piece of software.

  I was wondering about the case where we have an external hosts file
with a list of ad blocking address-to-domain mappings.

Now when dnsmasq starts up

1. does it read the whole file once and possibly adds the mappings to
the dns cache so we have to specify a cache size similar to the number
of lines in the file plus a number for our approximate external dns queries

or

2. it doesnt and it reads the file for every single one dns query so the
cache size is only for external requests?

Thanks