[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq - dhcp unicast or multicast

Simon Röblreiter simon.roeblreiter at gasslfeld.at
Wed Oct 26 22:31:31 BST 2016

Bonsoir, Albert!

I should have taken a closer look at
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2131.

It is explained well there.
My problem was just that i did not know what to look for.

RouterOS indeed sets the broadcast flag in each message.

>> Any suggestions?
>
> What do you need a suggestion for?

I want to reduce broadcast traffic as much as possible to keep the
network clean, but as your answer implies, this behaviour is
RFC-conform and the only point I can work on is the client.

I guess even IF there was a way to force unicast replies,
it would not be a sane decision because you never can tell
how some clients react.

I will therefore try to dig into the DHCP-Client of RouterOS and see,
what I can do.

Merci beaucoup!