[Dnsmasq-discuss] Windows ipv6 hostname

Pali Rohár pali.rohar at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 11:53:34 GMT 2016

On Tuesday 20 December 2016 12:14:19 Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:
> Markus Hartung <mail at hartmark.se> writes:
> > On 2016-12-19 06:18, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:
> >> Markus Hartung <mail at hartmark.se> writes:

> >> My guess is that Windows 10 implements RFC7217:
> >> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7217
> >>
> >> If this is the case, there is no way for dnsmasq to predict the
> >> IPv6 address of a new client (which is what ra-names relies on),
> >> and so you can't get the AAAA record.
> >
> > It's a shame the windows 10 IPv6 implementation lacks those stuff.
>
> Well, arguably the Windows 10 behaviour is a feature - RFC7217 was
> written because the EUI-64 based approach has privacy issues (the
> client will use the same address on every network). So I would
> expect more and more clients to adopt the privacy-preserving
> approach. I believe NetworkManager has support for it on Linux, but
> am not sure if it's enabled by default.

Another option is to stop using SLAAC and start using DHCPv6 where you
have full control of assigned IPv6 addresses.

Such feature like host will "randomly" chose address is unsuitable for
setup when you need to have control of which address is assigned to
which device (e.g in this setup when you want to assign AAAA record).

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar at gmail.com