[Dnsmasq-discuss] Query: DNSMASQ_LEASE_EXPIRES

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Wed Dec 21 23:28:04 GMT 2016

On 21/12/16 09:30, Nehal J Wani wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 3:21 PM, Nehal J Wani
> <nehaljw.kkd1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> According to the man page of dnsmasq, DNSMASQ_LEASE_EXPIRES
>> stores the time of lease expiry and DNSMASQ_TIME_REMAINING stores
>> the number of seconds until expiry and these are passed to the
>> script specified to the option --dhcp-script.
>>
>> Consider the scenario when the configuration has specified
>> 'infinite' as the value of <lease time> for a particular
>> dhcp-range. In this case, the value of DNSMASQ_LEASE_EXPIRES is
>> always 0 and DNSMASQ_TIME_REMAINING is not even present. Is this
>> an expected behaviour?

Yes. 0 is used as a special value which represents "infinite". There's
no sensible value for time_remaining in this case, so that behaviour
seems reasonable too. This doesn;t appear to be documented well in the
man page, patch gratefully accepted :)

>> Another query: the value of lease-time is stored in an unsigned
>> int while parsing the options and it is different in struct
>> script_data. Is there a specific reason behind choosing different
>> datatypes?

I don't think so. leases longer than 2^31 seconds are pretty unlikely,
so either will do to represent them.