[Dnsmasq-discuss] Sequential IP doesn't look for unused IPs

Vladislav Grishenko themiron.ru at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 22:25:08 GMT 2016

Hi Alec,

A bit disagree on that, at up-to-time Asus routers use hashed mac allocations, not sequential.

Older ones – did sequential allocation with reuse of expired IP from the very start (original udhcpd behavior), and in my practice, it rose issues when the same ip was allocated to different interfaces of one particular host, first time – as a first lease, second – after a hibernate/sleep. Same code was merged into udhcpd at busybox and was fixed into sdbm hash several years ago.

In my opinion, sequential reuse of ip pool does more harm than helps to keep the “things” in order.

Best Regards, Vladislav Grishenko