[Dnsmasq-discuss] Should every allocated (by DHCP) address be in /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases?

Albert ARIBAUD albert.aribaud at free.fr
Wed Jan 11 15:54:33 GMT 2017

Hi Chris,

Le Wed, 11 Jan 2017 15:09:54 +0000
Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> a écrit:

> I have a mystery IP on my LAN which looks as if it has been allocated
> by my dnsmasq process but it isn't in /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases.
>
> Is there anywhere else that I could look to see how/when dnsmasq
> allocated an IP?
>
> This is a small home LAN running on 192.168.1.xxx subnet with dnsmasq
> running on a raspberrypi.

If your dnsmasq's config has --log-dhcp, then you should find IP
allocations mentioned in your syslog (or whatever is systemd's
equivalent if applicable).

Otherwise yes, /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases contains all leases
currently in use (IIRC, when a client properly drops the lease, it is
removed from the file).

Now, just because there is an IP on your network which is within your
dnsmasq's DHCP range does not mean it has been allocated by it. It
could just as well be that some host decided to use this IP on your
network.

Amicalement,
--
Albert.