[Dnsmasq-discuss] About the behavior of dnsmasq's ipset when the ip address has been added into the ipset.

Hongyi Zhao hongyi.zhao at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 00:37:12 GMT 2017

Hi all,

Say, I have the following settings for dnsmasq:

server=/.your-freedom.net/127.0.0.1#6053
ipset=/.your-freedom.net/gfwlist-hash-ip

If the ip addresses of *.your-freedom.net have been added to the
gfwlist-hash-ip, then what's the behavior of dnsmasq's ipset for my
above settings?

I mean, when dnsmasq add a specific ip address into a ipset, does
dnsmasq will check the corresponding ip address(es) already in the
destination ipset or not?

In fact, as we all know, the ipset itself has command for testing a ip
address in certain ipset or not, i.e., like the following:

$ sudo ipset test gfwlist-hash-net 8.8.8.8
8.8.8.8 is in set gfwlist-hash-net.

So, if the corresponding ip address has been added the ipset
previously, the dnsmasq shouldn't add it again.

Regards
--
Hongsheng Zhao <hongyi.zhao at gmail.com>
Institute of Semiconductors, Chinese Academy of Sciences